I am not a music connoisseur and if you ask me which is my favorite album from a certain band that I listen to, the answer would most probably be 'Best of InsertBandName'. The way I discover contemporary music is usually based on 'Best Album of the Year' poll conducted on RAWK (a Liverpool fans forum that I visit regularly). Last year it was Lost in the Dreams from the band 'War on Drugs' and the year before it was Drenge from the band with the same name. Apart from these, another source for discovering music is from the soundtracks of films that I watch. So the following is a list of best music I discovered through watching films from last year.
1) Vitamin C from CAN-Inherent Vice
2) Born to Die from Lana Del Rey-Mommy
3) The Taste of Blood from Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL-Only Lovers Left Alive
'Only Lovers Left Alive' is the soundtrack of the year and should be listened to in its entirety.
4) El Condor Pasa from Simon & Garfunkel-Wild
5) I Love You All from Michael Dassbender-Frank
6) Death from Mica Levi-Under the Skin
The entire soundtrack is very creepy...
7) Vengeance from Perturbator-The Guest
The Guest is 2014's Drive in terms of Soundtrack. A very fun film to watch as well.
8) Deep Blue from Arcade Fire-Boyhood
I am a fan of Arcade fire but hadn't heard this track before watching Boyhood.