Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Skeleton Twins (2014)

Director: Craig Johnson
Writers:  Craig Johnson, Mark Heyman
Cast:       Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig, Luke Wilson, Ty Burrell


Having both coincidentally cheated death on the same day, estranged twins are reunited with the possibility of mending their relationship and their lives.

Film deals with things like depression, child rape etc with a humorous tinge to it. It starts off well and remains interesting till the details about their past are all but revealed through snippets of information. The scenes of sibling bonding get tiresome towards the end and I found the humor to be too saccharine for my liking. I prefer it to be lot darker when it comes to this kind of subject matter like in Noah Baumbach's 'Greenberg'. But in this package it might be accessible for the mainstream audience and explains the considerable success it had grossing $5 million on a $1 million budget. The performances are good and the filmmakers were supposed to be inspired from the works of Alexander Payne. I really rate Alexander Payne as a director and Sideways is my favorite film of his, but I have got to say that apart from dealing with depression and self-loathing characters, I don't think there is much in common with his works in this film and the humor is totally different.

Overall it is a decent enough watch but one that you would forget about in no time. The flashback scenes were really annoying. I got the film from those end of the year best film lists as I am trying to watch all the possible candidates that I can get my hands on to make my own list,before 2015 kicks in. This film definitely won't make it.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment